Spend Family Day Long-Weekend at the science centre!
Quality time together has never been so fun!
Saturday, February 18, through Monday, February 20
Family Day Long-Weekend in The Science Garage:
Mini Make + Take: Catapults
Saturday, February 18th and Sunday, February 19th
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m
$10 Per kit, pre-registration not required
25 kits per day (25 Saturday, 25 Sunday)
Ready, aim, FIRE!!! Come to the Science Garage to build your own wooden catapult. $10+gst gets you all the materials you need to build a catapult that launches corks. We’ll also provide a wide selection of consumable matierials to enhance your catapult kit. Cost is per kit. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
Angry Birds Universe, the exhibition, is now open! The whole family will enjoy this wildly interactive exhibition, where YOU can BE the bird!
This Weekend in IMAX:
Behold the secrets of a forgotten past and uncover an epic archaeological discovery, 2,000 years in the making.
Set in 1926, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them is the story of writer Newt Scamander, living in New York's secret community of witches and wizards -- seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school.
This Weekend in the Galleries:
The Science Garage (Hole Family Gallery)
Free Drop-In Activities: Every weekend at The Workshop inside The Science Garage.
Friday at 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday at 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday at 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
We might be building catapults, constructing towers and bridges, learning about simple electronics and tinkering with circuit boards, launching rockets (both Straw Rockets and Air Compressor Rockets), competing in Wind Tunnel Challenges & much more! These drop-in activities are included in Science Centre Admission.
Syncrude Environment Gallery:
- Science on a Sphere Shows: Saturday at 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and; Sunday at 1:15 p.m to 1:45 p.m.. Using TWOSE’s iconic 6-foot diameter projection system to visually enhance presentations, our staff scientists will take you on in-depth and interactive explorations of severe weather patterns and the effect plate tectonics have on natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis.
- Touch Tank Exploration: get to know the friendly sea-creatures who reside in our aquarium with guided hands-on interaction at 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., and 3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m..
- TWOSE Critters: Join us in the Syncrude Environment Gallery from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., where you just might meet George & Badger, our adorable sugar gliders; or Iggy, our bearded dragon, or even one of our tarantulas Itsy and Shelob.
The Body Fantastic (Allard Family Gallery):
- Multi-Axis Trainer Trials: Saturday & Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Our Multi-Axis Trainer simulates the disorientation one would feel in a tumble spin during re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. What are you waiting for? Take a spin!
- Human Body Exploration Station: Saturday & Sunday from 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. Explore our drop-in anatomy and physiology station. Activities change daily, but could include Strawberry DNA Extraction, human anatomy puzzles, or sensory science experiments.
- TWOSE Critters: Join us on the ESSO Skywalk from 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., where you just might meet George & Badger, our adorable sugar gliders; or Iggy, our bearded dragon, or even one of our tarantulas Itsy and Shelob.
- Exploration Station: Each month there is always something new to explore on the ESSO Skywalk. Join us for hands-on activities on Saturday and Sunday from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m..
- Join us for a robotics mission in the TELUS Robotics Lab. Using LEGO Mindstorms robots, our staff scientists will show you some programming basics and challenge you to complete the mission of the day! 45-minute missions starting at 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Storytime: Saturday & Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Pull up a cushion and join us as we cycle through a variety of different stories about dinosaurs, animals, astronomy & more. We'll read out loud together in an interactive and particapatry setting. Sometimes there might be hand puppets & singing, other times we might act out the story together using just our imaginations!
- Jr. Scientists Exploration Station: Saturday & Sunday from 2:45 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Especially designed for little ones 8-years-old and younger this special Exploration Station will touch on a variety of topics like astronomy, dinosaurs and mathematics. We'll play games and puzzles, do arts & crafts and use our imaginations to explore our surroundings and learn through play!
Margaret Zeidler Star Theatre planetarium:
- Planetarium Shows: Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and; Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Embark on a celestial journey across the Universe with our incredible planetarium shows!
All planetarium shows are included in Science Centre Admission!
- Live Science Demos: Daily from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Watch as we bring science to life before your very eyes with Live Demonstrations For demo schedule
All activities are included in Science Centre Admission with the exception of IMAX films and Feature Exhibitions. Schedules are subject to change without notice.