Are you up to the challenge?
Starting Saturday, April 6 we invite you to design and build a fantastic cardboard invention. Using only cardboard, reclaimed materials and your creativity it will be up to you to solve a problem in your community using your newly engineered contraption.
Once you have finished your invention, show it off during the Cardboard Challenge Showcase on Saturday, April 27!
- Identify a problem in your community that you would like to solve by making an invention with cardboard and other reclaimed/reused or sustainable materials.
- Your invention:
- Must contain a minimum of 50% cardboard
- Can have reclaimed/reused materials (pop cans, plastic bags, old spools, paper scraps, fabric scraps, etc.)
- Can have sustainable materials (cork, bamboo, clay, hay, etc.)
- White Glue, masking tape, painters tape is permitted, but try to use environmentally friendly adhesives like flour & water, or string
- Brass fasteners, paper clips and binder clips should all be reused materials
- Max size is 2 x 2 x 2 m
- You may work at home, or you may bring your invention into The Science Garage workshop on any weekend during workshop hours and we can provide you with materials and tools to aid in the creation of your invention.
- Bring your invention to the Cardboard Invent-a-thon Showcase for Saturday April 27, from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and show off your invention to our guests.
- Along with your invention, you are asked to bring any drawings, prototypes, etc. that helped in the design process of your invention.
If you have any questions or you want to run an idea by us, email Jennifer Gemmell.