Recognizing an outstanding researcher or innovator in Northern Alberta
The TELUS World of Science – Edmonton Science Fellowship, recognizes an outstanding researcher or innovator based in Northern Alberta. The awardee will be an individual early in his or her career who has demonstrated outstanding contributions to science, technology, mathematics, medicine, or engineering. Contributions can take one or more of many forms, including research, teaching, entrepreneurship, communications, and innovation. The award recipient will be recognized at a TELUS World of Science - Edmonton event, given a monetary award, provided a professional development scholarship and will participate in several TELUS World of Science - Edmonton events during the year.
Each year, the Edmonton Space & Science Foundation (ESSF) selects one outstanding researcher or innovator based in Northern Alberta to be the recipient (the Fellow) of the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton Science Fellowship Award. As the individual’s work is considered noteworthy and therefore of interest to the public, the Fellow will participate in a selected science communication workshop or program. This participation will contribute to the professional development and science communication skills of the Fellow.
As a public ambassador for the scientific community, the Fellow will participate in outreach activities that disseminate his or her work. Over the course of one calendar year from the date of receiving the award, the Fellow must give a short talk about their work at the ESSF AGM and one 45 min presentation at another TELUS World of Science - Edmonton event open to the public or to schools.
Candidates who qualify for the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton Science Fellowship Award must meet the following criteria:
● In the early stages of his or her career (under the age of 40 by the submission deadline);
● Based in Northern Alberta (home residence is north of 52 degrees);
● Work in any field of science, technology, mathematics, medicine, or engineering in alignment with TELUS World of Science - Edmonton’s Mission and Strategic Goals; and
● Outstanding achievements in one or more of research, teaching, entrepreneurship, communications, and innovation.
● Monetary award of $5,000;
● Recognition of Fellow’s contribution(s) through the promotion of his or her work by TELUS World of Science - Edmonton and the ESSF;
● Participation in a selected science communication workshop or program as valued at up to $3000 (including fees, travel, accommodations, and meals)
Candidates can apply themselves or be nominated.
The deadline for receiving applications is November 15, 2019.
Applications must include an application letter and two letters of reference. These letters must be received no later than 11:59 pm on the submission deadline and address the following:
- Description of the candidate’s contribution(s)
- Discussion of why these contribution(s) are outstanding
- Comments as to why the candidate is passionate about, and how the candidate has shared, their work
- How recognition as a TELUS World of Science - Edmonton Science Fellowship will benefit the candidate and the Northern Alberta scientific community
Letters must be no longer than two pages. They must be emailed to Dan Alfano with the subject line “TELUS World of Science - Edmonton's Science Fellowship: nominee name”. Reference letters must be received no later than two weeks after the submission deadline.
TELUS World of Science - Edmonton values a culture of diversity and inclusion and therefore encourages applications for any qualified candidate.
Current TELUS World of Science – Edmonton paid employees are not eligible to apply (Note that TELUS World of Science - Edmonton volunteers, which are unpaid, may apply). Similarly, the immediate family of the ESSF Science Fellow Selection Committee will not be considered for this Fellowship.