HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Collect interesting specimens while exploring the nature around you.
- Investigate what you found. Make observations about the item itself and do research to learn more.
- Share your knowledge and trade in your item at the Trading Centre to earn points.
- Redeem your points to "buy" new specimens and grow your personal collection.
The Trading Centre experience is included with your Science Centre admission and is free for Members.
HOW CAN I EARN POINTS?
- Trade in items that you find in nature. The more that you can tell us about the items, the more points you'll earn!
- Create a project on a nature topic. Keep a nature journal, make some art, or choreograph a dance. It's your project - make it your own!
- Participate in a Citizen Science project. Become a naturalist yourself and earn points for contributing to scientific efforts.
- The Science Centre only accepts items from nature.
- Bring only 3 items to trade per day.
- Make sure your item is clean and safe for handling.
- Don't collect items from Coronation Park or the area around the Science Centre.
- Only legally collected fossils are accepted for trade.
- There are some items that are not accepted for trade. Those include, but are not limited to:
- bird nests, eggs, and feathers
- bones and antlers
- things that eat, poop, rot, are endangered, or are protected by law
Before collecting something, ask yourself if it's safe and responsible to do so:
- Never take the first specimen you find.
- Take only one of each item when collecting from nature.
- Leave living plants and animals where you find them.
- Never approach wild animals.
- Only collect in places where it is legal and you have permission to do so.
- Don't remove items from Provincial or National Parks.
- Don't collect endangered or protected species.
At the Trading Centre, experiences and sightings are also accepted. Those can be portrayed through drawings, photographs, written notes, or in some other way.
TRADING DESK HOURS
Weekdays: 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (closed midday for lunch)
Weekends: 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Trading desk hours are subject to change without notice.